Chia Seeds are not just for Terra Cotta pets anymore! There are many proven health benefits associated with Chia Seeds. Chia Seeds can be found in your local health food store or on Amazon.com.
This seed originated in Mexico as a medicinal herb and has been used for centuries. Today it is known for being a source of Omega-3 fatty acids and fiber. They are now called a “superfood!” They give us maximum nutrients a with of minimum amount of calories!
Nutiva.com says that Chia is a rich source of essential minerals including phosphorous, manganese and calcium and trace amounts of potassium, which all keep vital organs functioning properly.
They can be added to your diet in several ways:
- Throw them into your morning smoothie, yogurt or oatmeal.
- Add them to your muffins and breads.
- Use them as an egg substitute for baking and use as a binding agent in things such as meatloaf and meatballs. (They are not meant to substitute eggs for an omelet though!) Just put 1 T. of the seeds in 3 T.of water and allow to stand for about 15 minutes. Add to your recipe in place of eggs.
- Use as a thickener in soups, stews, sauces and gravies.
- Use for hunger control and dieting. A tablespoon of Chia Seeds stirred into a glass of juice or water will create a “gel” in your tummy and make you feel full. It will curb your appetite so you’ll want to eat less!